12 Inflammatory Foods to Avoid
Did you know that food can play a huge role in inflammation in your body?Inflammation can affect your body negatively if left that way for long periods of time. In this article you will learn more about the worst foods for inflammation so you know what to avoid.
Inflammation is a natural part of your body's response when fighting an infection. It's when your damaged tissue releases chemicals. Chemicals such as histamine, bradykinin, and prostaglandins, that tell other cells to start making repairs. But sometimes, inflammation is low-grade, spread throughout the body, and chronic.
This chronic inflammation, over time, can lead to damage in your body. It can play a role in the buildup of plaque in your arteries that can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke. It's also associated with a higher risk of cancer, diabetes and other health conditions.
Join us as we learn more about reducing inflammation in your body and the twelve most inflammatory foods to avoid.
What Causes Inflammation?
The choices you make at the grocery store can have an impact on the inflammation in your body. Studies show that what you eat can affect the levels of C-reactive protein, a marker for inflammation in your blood. The types of foods we eat can play a large role in causing inflammation.
These are some of the most common culprits of inflammation:
Omega 6 Fats. A recent article reported that, "a lower ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids is more desirable in reducing the risk of many of the chronic disease of high prevalence in Western societies." 1 Our body doesn’t react well to an unhealthy ratio of fats and can trigger a pro-inflammatory response. Omega-6 fats are not bad in and of themselves, but when eaten in higher amounts they can be just that: unhealthy!
- Red Meat. Red meat is linked to higher levels of inflammation in the body.
- Processed Foods. Processed foods that contain a high amount of chemicals are all foods that can trigger inflammation in your body.
- Sugar. Sugary cereals and drinks are all pro-inflammatory foods. They have been linked to high inflammatory markers in the body and can raise triglyceride levels.
Inflammatory Foods to Avoid List:
- Lunch meat
- Hot Dogs
- Soda Pop
- French Fries
- Sugary Breakfast Cereals
- Sweetened Beverages
- Corn oil
What Prevents Inflammation?
Other foods like fruits and vegetables help your body fight against chronic inflammation.
Foods that fight inflammation tend to be foods that are also known to be good for you, so it’s not too hard to make the switch to an anti-inflammatory diet if you are already choosing healthier foods.
- Whole Plant Foods. Whole plant foods have the right components that help in the fight against inflammation. Components such as antioxidants, fiber and vitamins. Increasing your intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes is a great place to start.
- Antioxidants. They can help prevent damage caused by inflammation. They're often found in highly colorful fruits and vegetables such as: blueberries, spinach, beets and avocados. Other sources include: lentils, whole grains, ginger, turmeric and green tea.
- Omega-3s. Omega-3 fatty acids play a huge role in regulating your body's inflammation response and fighting against inflammation throughout the body. These healthy fats can be found in seafood like salmon, tuna and sardines, as well as in walnuts, pecans, ground flax-seed and hemp hearts.
There are many health food products out there that have bold claims to be “healthy,” but are they? Hopefully by reading through this article you’ve gathered a few helpful tips to support you in making knowledge based choices in your health journey. At Highlands Organic Market you can compare the products you are buying with our anti-inflammatory food list to see how well you are doing with your fight against disease prevention.
If you enjoyed reading this article about the 12 Inflammatory Foods to avoid then you may also enjoy these articles:
10 Easy Ways to Start a Plant Based Diet
10 Simple Ways to Improve your Sleep
5 Amazing Ways Nature can Benefit your Health