12 Super Foods and Why You Need to Start Eating Them Now!
It is SO important for your health to eat foods high in antioxidants. In the article you will learn about 12 super foods and why YOU need to start eating them!
We've compiled a list of some of the healthiest foods to consume and most importantly explained why you should be eating more of them.
If you have ever heard of the term "super food" and wondered what was so "super" about the food anyway? Well, wonder no more.
12 Super Foods to include in Your Diet
- Avocado - Avocados provide a whopping 6.75g of fiber per serving and provide a substantial amount of heart-healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat. The American Heart Association notes that replacing saturated fat (from sources such as whole milk or ice cream) with the fats found in foods such as avocado can help reduce the risk for heart disease.
- Berries - Berries are very high in antioxidants, fiber and low glycemic. Blueberries have a high number of anthocyanin pigments which gives them their color but also supports healthy blood sugar regulation, heart health and brain health.
- Broccoli - This powerhouse of a veggie contains a phytochemical called sulforaphane and is supportive of your heart and great at helping your body ward off disease.
- Salmon and Other Fatty Fish - Fish is full of protein and rich in healthy fats. Omega-3 fatty acids, namely the type you get from seafood including fish, are particularly beneficial to our bodies. Omega-3's play a role in supporting heart health, mental health and infant brain development. The AHA recommends consuming at least two servings (3.5 ounces) of fish per week, noting that fattier fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel, and herring are especially healthy.
- Garlic and Onions - There is promise that allium vegetables such as garlic and onions have a possible benefit in preserving your wellness by warding off disease.
- Mushrooms - Compounds in mushrooms, including beta glucan, appear to act as prebiotics, helping to fuel the growth of beneficial gut bacteria and promoting a healthy gut environment. This is important because a healthy gut plays an important role in maintaining our immune defenses. They also contain a soluble fiber called beta-glucan. This fiber helps to activate your immune system, particularly compounds called natural killer cells and macrophages known to help fight infection. Mushrooms provide B vitamins and include a powerful antioxidant called selenium, which helps support the immune system and prevent damage to cells and tissues.
- Brazil Nuts - These delicious nuts are high in selenium which is a trace mineral that is high in antioxidants that helps to fight inflammation among many other things.
- Legumes - Legumes, including beans, lentils, peas, soybeans and whole soy products such as edamame, soy milk and tofu contain protease inhibitors which play an important part in a healthy diet and can help support healthy blood sugar levels, blood pressure, heart health and more.
- Fermented Foods - Fermented foods such as sauerkraut and kombucha help to introduce a variety of good bacteria into your gut. They help restore gut health and digestion, improving the health of our gut microbiome. We are learning more and more about how essential gut health is not only for nutrient absorption but for improved functionality in our body as a whole.
- Seeds - Some examples of these include chia and hemp seeds. Chia seeds are packed with antioxidants, minerals, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. They also are a great source of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, which supports bone health. Try chia seeds mixed into your yogurt, as a chia seed pudding or even added to salads.
- Acai - This popular ingredient in the latest smoothie bowl trends are full of powerful antioxidants. They are wonderful for supporting a healthy body, energy, heart health and digestion.
- Kale - This leafy green has many nutritional benefits. Kale is packed with protein and flavonoids. It also has a hefty dose of vitamins A, K, and C, and is a good source of fiber.
These 12 super foods are full of benefits to maintain the healthiest body whether you are young or aging. From their high fiber content to high antioxidants, this list of health promoting foods should be carried with you on your next shopping trip!